Three of CroisiEuropes ships on the Seine – The MS Botticelli, MS Seine Princess and MS Renoir – are now running on cleaner gas to liquid (GTL) fuel.
CroisiEurope collaborated with river bunkering company, AS Energy to introduce GTL fuel which is cleaner than off-road diesel and doesn’t produce smoke or an unpleasant smell.
Patrick Schmitter, Co-Owner of CroisiEurope, comments: “We are committed to doing our utmost to constantly reduce our environmental impact. This is why we are very proud to announce the use of this new fuel, which is a safe product and classified as rapidly biodegradable. Its use significantly reduces air pollutant emissions.”
CroisiEurope’s other environmental measures include:
- Using only electric buses in Paris.
- Installed water savers on all the boats, resulting in a 35% saving in drinking water and a 35% reduction in waste.
- Equipped all vessels with systems to dispose of waste water in the urban sewerage network and/or water treatment stations
- Used paint with non-polluting components on the undersides of all ships
- Fitted out ships with Greenship label engines that meet the latest and most stringent European standards in terms of pollution control
- Initiated a partnership with UNESCO in order to promote sustainable development projects for African river ports.
- Cleaning products are biodegradable.
- Vegetable ink and non-bleached paper are used on all printed materials.
- CroisiEurope finances its river jetties, which are used exclusively by the company and provide shoreside electricity, thereby reducing engine exhaust emissions.
CroisiEurope is now keen to introduce GTL fuel on its remaining fleet in France and is investigating how best to supply its ships on the Loire, the Rhone and the Gironde.