Princess Cruises announced today its newest ship will be named Discovery Princess.
Discovery Princess is scheduled to launch on November 3, 2021 sailing on a series of European voyages. She will be a sister ship to Royal Princess, Regal Princess, Majestic Princess, Sky Princess (joining the fleet later this month) and Enchanted Princess (joining the fleet June 2020 and launching in Southampton).
Her inaugural voyage is a seven-day Mediterranean and Aegean cruise from Rome to Athens on November 3, 2021. It can be combined with the subsequent seven-day Athens to Barcelona voyage to form a 14-day Adriatic & Aegean Medley sailing.
After a short season in the Mediterranean with departures from Barcelona, Rome and Athens, the ship will head to Fort Lauderdale for a series of roundtrip cruises to the Caribbean. This will be followed by several voyages around South America from Buenos Aires, Santiago and Fort Lauderdale, as well as Mexico and the California coast from Los Angeles.
- First ever Jazz Theatre at sea coming to Princess Cruises
- Princess Cruises set to sail to South America and Antarctica from 2020
- MedallionNet WiFi is coming to more Princess Cruises ships
The 3,660-guest ship’s maiden season is available to book from October 8, 2019.
Jan Swartz, president of Princess Cruises, said: “Discovery Princess will take our guests on the most memorable holidays of their lifetime, introducing them to new sights, new cultures and new experiences on every voyage.
“Discovery is both an expression of our brand as well as an important aspect of our guest experience. We know Discovery Princess will offer our guests cruise holidays that create memories they will cherish for a lifetime.”
Construction of the 143,700-tonne Discovery Princess will take place at the Fincantieri shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The ship will feature an evolution of the design platform used for the cruise line’s existing fleet and will be the third purpose-built ‘MedallionClass’ vessel to join the fleet.
The multi-award winning OceanMedallion, which is the same size as a 10p piece, has been designed to deliver an entirely new level of service and create a holiday that is more simple, effortless and personalised with:
- Expedited arrival – Guests who arrive at the terminal with travel documents (i.e. passports) uploaded to their profile enjoy a streamlined and expedited check-in process that gets their holiday started even sooner
- Touchless stateroom entry – No need to touch, swipe or insert cards or devices into the door handle to unlock the stateroom. As a guest approaches their stateroom the door automatically unlocks
- On-demand services – Using smart devices, guests have the ability to order drinks, food and retail items such as suntan lotion and have them delivered directly anywhere onboard, including to their stateroom
- Interactive game play – Available on portals throughout the ship, PlayOcean allows guests to take part in digital scavenger hunts, interactive games and create their own avatars, as well as turning their smart device into a game controller for interactive gaming on the Movies Under The Stars top-deck screen
- Family and friends locator – Accessible on portals throughout the ships and via guests’ smart devices, OceanCompass leverages the OceanMedallion to easily locate and chat with friends and family onboard. OceanCompass guides guests throughout their journey, providing directional information so they can seamlessly navigate to their next point of interest
- Interactive voyage timeline – Available on ship portals and via guests’ smart devices, JourneyView is an interactive timeline that lets guests scroll through all of the events available on board during their voyage and bookmark activities they’re interested in to their own personalised itinerary. Voyage itineraries are available as many as 60 days in advance, allowing guests to start planning before they leave home
Discovery Princess will be followed by the debut of two new Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) powered ships on order to be delivered in late 2023 and spring 2025, bringing the line’s new ship order number to five in six years.
Princess Cruises is offering the seven-day Mediterranean and Aegean inaugural sailing on Discovery Princess from £1,389 per person. Departing November 3, 2021 from Rome to Athens, calling at Naples, Crete (Heraklion), Kusadasi (for Ephesus), Istanbul and Mykonos.