The First Jazz Theatre at Sea
The jazz lounge, ‘Take 5’, will be a place to listen to live performances. Plus, enjoy after-hours parties and take part in dance lessons.
The OceanMedallion will also make it even easier for guests to order food and drink to wherever they are sitting.
Themed music evenings
A programme of themed music evenings have also been announced and include a wide range of music from the Jazz genre including Afro-Cuban jazz and Big Band.
Themed music evenings including:
- A Night in Harlem: Sounds of the 1920s will transport guests to the underground world of the speakeasy. Set in the heart of New York City with sounds of the prohibition era. Featured artists include King Oliver’s Creole Jazz Band, New Orleans Rhythm Kings, Original Dixieland Jazz Band and Charles “Buddy” Bolden
- The Birth of Big Band and BeBop: Showcasing the late 1940s, post-war jazz and the birth of BeBop. With the amazing speed and technical ability of these incredible musicians. Music from Charlie Parker, Coleman Hawkins and Dexter Gordon will fill the air while costumed bow-tied-wearing staff deliver classic cocktails
- The Way You Look Tonight: Celebrates women of jazz throughout history and how these legendary vocalists and instrumentalistschanged musical history. Guests can expect tunes from Ella Fitzgerald to Billie Holiday to Norah Jones
- Toda La Noche – Fiery Afro-Cuban Jazz: A journey through the Caribbean celebrates the spicy rhythms of Afro-Cuban jazz. Including the classic beats spanning Latin, European and African American influences. Before the show, guests can take salsa lessons to popular Buena Vista Social Club covers. Featured artists include Tito Puente, Irakere and Dizzy Gillespie. The night ends with an invite back for a ‘descarga’ jam session
- A Sophisticated Evening of Cool: Featuring the cool jazz sounds of the 1950s, guests will enjoy an American jazz road trip with sounds from New York to California. Musical legends like Miles Davis, Chet Baker and John Lewis will feature
- Contemporary Directions – A Festival of Jazz: Featuring local artists from the various destinations the ships sail and the recent decades of jazz music
Sky Princess launches in October 2019 and Enchanted Princess launches in June 2020. Both ships build on the popular Royal Class cruise ship and include innovative new features and new Sky Suites.
Other Princess Cruises News
- Princess have announced its longest UK and Europe season ever-ever
- Princess Cruises set to sail to South America and Antarctica from 2020